Flashteroids 1.5+ upgrade progress
Well, it’s already proving slightly more complex than I thought but I made some progress on FTR1.5+ tonight. Here you can see one of the new levels that I finished designing last week. The plan was to create a couple more of them tonight but then I realised that there were yet more game features to be ported across from the CD version.
Because it’s written in horrible old Flash 5 none of the code is Object based or modular so it involves digging around hidden corners of the main Flash movie to remember where a particular bit of code is hidden.
Anyway, excuses excuses...
Here are the new features when compared to the long-serving v1.2:
- Seven new maps, 14 levels. That’s each map with and without defences. Position of targets and your base also differs.*
- Ability to temporarily disable missile launchers and gun emplacements by shooting them.
- Shields mean bullets do not destroy you on impact. You have two shields then the third impact destroys you. Full shields are replaced with a complete refuel. Missiles still destroy you regardless of shields status.*
- Missiles have smoke trails.
- Improved explosion / crash graphics.
- Improved appearance of in-game items (ship, base, missiles etc):
- Slightly different menu appearance. I’m not going to spend much time redesigning the game menu system because it’s just an upgrade and I want to get onto Flashteroids 2 as soon as possible.
If you have any ideas for improvements please suggest them via comments on this blog!